Practical FAQ

How do I get a locker?

Any student enrolled in an art class is entitled to a locker on a first-come first-serve basis. You should select a locker (one only) and place a padlock of some sort on it. You should then go to the Tool Crib (Art 113) and let a technician or student student working there which locker you have chosen. It is advisable to choose a locker close to the studio area for your emphasis. These lockers are cleaned out at the end of the year. Notices will be posted advising you to clear out your locker toward the end of Spring Semester.

What about lab fees, art supplies, tools, and other materials needed for my classes?

Some classes require a "lab fee" which is paid at the time of registration. (Keep your receipt throughout the semester.) This fee covers the cost of materials and supplies which you will receive in the classroom (e.g. printmaking inks, welding supplies, photography chemicals, clay). This fee is actually a "good deal" since you generally receive more materials and supplies than you could purchase on the outside on your own for the amount of the fee.

What is Art 103: Safety and Shop Practices, and do I have to take it?

Art classes require a wide array of tools, equipment, and supplies. Some equipment is potentially dangerous. In order for you to enroll in a sculpture course at any level, or if you wish to have access to the wood shop or use power and hand tools dispensed from the tool crib, you must take ArtS 103: Safety and Shop Practices (1 unit, Cr/NC) which usually is taught by our technicians and is offered on the first two weekends of each semester. This course will familiarize you with the working procedures, hazards, and safety practices in the various studio areas. University insurance and liability requires our studio majors complete this course concurrently at the time they enroll in any studio class which utilizes hazardous equipment or materials. You will find the course interesting and that it provides you with an introduction to many of the areas in which you will be working.
Where do I get tools and art supplies?

Some tools and supplies will be available in the tool cribs located in the sculpture courtyard and in the photography area. Our insurance requires that you must be enrolled in art classes and have completed the safety course to check out tools or use departmental equipment. Some supplies required by your studio courses will be available in the tool cribs. Other supplies may be found in the University Bookstore (although their prices are not competitive with larger art supply outlets.)
What if I need help with my classes or more time in the studio?

Several options are available for help outside the classroom. For studio majors you will want to sign up for ArtS 199 (lower division) or ArtS 399 (upper division) weekend studio courses. These will provide you with access to the facilities on the weekends. Advanced studio students are available to open rooms and oversee activity within the building. If you are an advanced student you may want to sign up to keep the building open. Units through our ArtS 300/301: Student Assistantships are available on a CR/NC basis.

If you are having trouble in your art history survey courses you should enroll in the ArtH 199 section (1 unit CR/NC) of your ArtH 210 or ArtH 211 class. An advanced art history major will conduct a review and answer your questions on a weeky basis. Some modern art history classes have study sections available under ArtH 399 (1 unit Cr/NC). These are also taught by advanced students in the department. Generally, students who enroll in these sections improve their grades dramatically.

The Tutorial Program is located in the Learning Center, Salazar Hall 1040, phone (707) 664-2429. The Tutorial program provides free tutoring for a large variety of SSU courses. These services are available to all registered students during the daytime and some evening hours. We have had art history tutors available in the past. Check with the Learning Center. Drop-in Tutoring is also available for some of the science, math and writing courses through Salazar Hall 1040, the Residence Halls and the Schulz Library. Check the Learning Center for more specific information. If you are interested in becoming a tutor, check with the Tutorial Program (664-2429) for more information. These are paid jobs.