Criminology & Criminal Justice Studies Major & Minor Advising FAQs

I am a Criminology & Criminal Justice Studies (CCJS) Major. Who is my academic major advisor?

The Criminology & Criminal Justice Studies Department assigns major advisors by last name.

A-Ce - Professor Asencio

Ch-F - Professor Grant

G-K - Professor Reyes

L-R - Professor Tosouni

S-Z - Professor Williams

How do I make an appointment with an academic advisor in Criminology & Criminal Justice Studies?

You do not need to make an appointment. The advisor’s office hours are drop in.  If you cannot come in during an advisor's posted office hours, call or email the advisor about scheduling an appointment. Office staff do not make appointments for faculty. Faculty office hours start on the first day of class and end on the last day of class each semester. Faculty are not on campus on a regular basis during the summer or intersession.

Where do I go to meet with an academic advisor in Criminology & Criminal Justice Studies?

All of the CCJS advisor’s offices are located on the Second floor of Stevenson Hall in the Criminology & Criminal Justice Studies Department Office, 2084.

I have questions about general education, my academic advising report, my transfer credit report, or how to contact a department. Are there any advisors other than my criminal justice major advisor who can help me out?

For information about GE requirements see the GE Requirements Overview page. It will help you figure out what GE pattern you are fulfilling. The School of Social Sciences has a peer advisor (go to this page) who is available to help out students. The Academic Peer Advisor for the School of Social Sciences is a useful resource for: GE Courses, Social Sciences courses in the GE pattern, registration help, how to search for classes effectively, and understanding the Academic Requirement Report (ARR) and Transfer Credit Report. If you are confused at all about any of these things please come see the Academic Peer Advisor.

How do I declare Criminology & Criminal Justice Studies as my major?

The “Change of Major” form is available in hardcopy only and can be found in either the Admissions and Records office or the Department office, Stevenson 2084.

I want to see an advisor to plan out my schedule, what should I bring?

It is recommended that students bring a printout of the Academic Requirements Report (ARR), the Transfer Credit Report (if any) as well as any other documents that may be useful.

I need to apply to graduate with a BA or a Minor in Criminology & Criminal Justice Studies, what do I do?

The instructions and deadlines to apply to graduate are on the Registration website Students need to fill out the“Graduation Application.". The graduation paperwork is available in hardcopy at the department office (Stevenson Hall 2084) and/or Admissions and Records. Students must have theirCriminology & Criminal Justice Studies major advisor sign the graduation application.

There are no advisors are available, but my instructor is in their office, can they advise me about the major or sign my paperwork?

Not every instructor can sign paperwork, the major advisors forCriminology & Criminal Justice Studies are tenure and tenure track faculty in the department.

No advisors are available and I need to turn in my paperwork today, can the department staff sign my form?

No, staff cannot sign in place of an academic advisor.

I am a Freshman or Sophomore and a Criminology & Criminal Justice Studies major, what classes should I take?

You should be focusing on completing GE requirements. Print the GE form applicable to you (either 48, 50 or 51 unit GE pattern--see above link) and check off GE courses as you take them. Try not to duplicate GE requirements or you may be at SSU longer than you want. Be sure to wait to complete your 9 units of upper division (300-400) GE units until the semester you become a junior (i.e., attain 60 units) or later; the course must be GE and numbered 300 or 400. Try to make one of your GE classes satisfy the Ethnic Studies requirement (identified with an * on the form), and make one of your science classes satisfy your lab requirement (identified with a # on the form). Note: if you came to SSU with an AP class that satisfies the POLS 200 requirement, you have NOT yet met the California State and Local Government requirement. Bring your GE checkoff list to any advising appointment, along with a current copy of your ARR..

All the Criminology & Criminal Justice Studies classes are full, What do I do?

As CCJS classes inevitably fill up and you are a junior (or about to be) through a first semester senior, there are other alternatives for filling in your courseload. For example, many students can take CCJS electives and upper or lower division GE requirements that are required for graduation. The CCJS Internship is also available. "Electives chosen under advisement" include graded courses in CCJS or in the School of Social Sciences (i.e., Anthropology, Criminology & Criminal Justice Studies, Environmental Studies & Planning, Geography & Global Studies, History, Human Development, Liberal Studies (Ukiah), Psychology, Sociology and Women's & Gender Studies). Transfer student suggestion: take ALL your upper division GE courses in the School of Social Sciences. Take WGS 375 to satisfy the upper divison GE AND Ethnic Studies requirements!