Certificate of Clearance


The State of California requires that all teachers, counselors and administrators working with students in public schools have a Certificate of Clearance. PLEASE NOTE: If you already have a Certificate of Clearance issued through the Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC), or a valid California teaching or service credential (including emergency permits) which require fingerprint clearance, you are not required to be cleared again.

Fingerprint clearances obtained through other organizations or agencies (e.g. school districts, private schools, group homes, or child care centers) are NOT accepted by the CTC.

PLEASE carefully review the Notice of Delay Policy below prior to filing for your Certificate of Clearance.

IMPORTANT FEE NOTICE: In the May revision the Governor proposed that the Commission on teacher Credentialing (CTC) 2015/2016 Budget include a processing fee increase from $35 to $50 for the Certificate of Clearance and $70.00 to $100 for Credential processing fee. The fee increase takes effect for all online applications submitted on or after July 1, 2015. All online transactions are subject to a $2.50 service fee in addition to the application fee noted below.

Download Instructions for Filing for a Certification of Clearance

Substitute Teaching

Did you know that as a student teacher you can substitute for your mentor teacher if you hold a 30-day Substitute Permit? This can be an ideal way to supplement your income while improving your classroom skills.

A substitute permit authorizes the holder to serve as a day-to-day substitute teacher in any classroom, from preschool to grade 12. This document is valid for one calendar year and must be renewed annually to continue substituting.

Teaching Credential Programs require fingerprint clearance while enrolled. A Substitute permit can cover this requirement. Visit your County Office of Education for details on how to apply for one. This may help avoid paying extra fingerprint and application fees if you decide to become a substitute teacher while enrolled in the program.

Sonoma County Office of Education: http://www.scoe.org/pub/htdocs/fingerprinting.html

Marin County Office of Education: http://www.marinschools.org/Personnel/Substitutes/Pages/default.aspx

Napa Valley Office of Education: http://www.napacoe.org/programs-for-teachers/state-mandated-credential-monitoring/sub-teacher-information/

Notice of Delay Policy

When students in our programs are placed by CTC’s Professional Practices Division on a Notice of Delay list, they will be immediately placed on a leave of absence from our program (not necessarily removed from the program) until the issue that placed them on the Notice of Delay list is resolved. Individuals on a Notice of Delay list, by law, are not allowed to participate in pk-12 classrooms.

Students on a Notice of Delay list are not allowed to continue in coursework, field related or not, until the Division of Professional Practices has made a determination about their status. Should a student appear on a Notice of Delay list, he or she must immediately contact the appropriate department chair in the School of Education to address this issue.

If a student is removed from courses and he or she is otherwise making satisfactory progress in the program, the withdrawal will be grade neutral (w); fees will not be refundable under this type of withdrawal unless otherwise allowed by University policy. If a school district continues to allow a student on a Notice of Delay list to participate in a pk-12 classroom, as an intern, substitute teacher or in any other capacity, it is clear that the student will be under the responsibility of the school district and not Sonoma State University.

Important: Being placed on a leave of absence from the School of Education does not equal being on a leave of absence from the University. If an enrolled student does not resolve a Notice of Delay issue & re-enrolls within 1 semester after being removed from coursework, he or she will need to reapply for University admission in order to register for courses in a subsequent semester.