SEIE Admissions - Graduate
Cal State Apply Graduate Student Application Checklist
Cal State Apply Graduate Application Guide
Cal State Apply Applicant Help Center
- Live Chat on the Cal State Apply site (available in application screen; not 24/7)
- James Peavler, SEIE Admissions Specialist
Award of Bachelor's Degree
One of the criteria for admission to a graduate program through SEIE is possession of a four-year Bachelor's degree from a regionally-accredited US institution (or foreign equivalent). Your Bachelor's degree must be completed according to the timelines below. (Degrees may take some time to get posted; we are considering the official award date, not the date you receive your diploma.)
Students must be in good standing at the last institution attended.
- Spring admits (Wine EMBA St Helena or Sonoma only): end of Fall semester or quarter
- Summer admits (Spanish and Early Childhood Education Certificate only): end of Fall semester or Winter quarter
- Fall admits (Standard EMBA and all others): end of Spring semester or quarter. Pleaes note: Degrees earned in the Summer are certified too late to be considered for Fall admission. If you must delay completion of your Bachelor's degree, you may need to reapply for a later year (or semester, for EMBA).
Grade Point Average (GPA) and Other Criteria
The minimum acceptable Grade Point Average (GPA) to enter a graduate program at SSU is 2.5, calculated over the last 60 semester (90 quarter) units. Individual programs may require a higher starting GPA and have additional criteria such as pre-requisite coursework. See your program's site for details about their specific criteria; our program list is at Academic Credit & Degree Programs Page.
- Attend an information session to get complete information about the program.
- If you are unable to come to an information session, contact the faculty coordinator of your chosen program to discuss how the program may fit with your goals.
- Check our SEIE Important Information page to be sure you are on target. Our dates and deadlines may differ from what is on the Cal State Apply site.
- Start gathering your supporting materials (e.g. resume, narrative). Be sure to request recommendations early, as there can be quite a delay in receiving them no matter what good intentions your recommenders may have.
- Locate documents from your previous academic experiences (transcripts, test scores, etc.).
Managing your Cal State Apply Application
Here are a few things we want to highlight for a smoother experience.
- You can track your progress on your dashboard, which will show what still needs to be completed before submission.
- If you need help, there are guides and live help available (see above).
- Choose Sonoma Extension to see the list of our programs from which to choose.
- Be sure to select the correct program. Cal State Apply may display a different title than we use; see our Important Information page for program titles, or contact the SEIE Admissions Specialist (contact info above).
- When you come to the section to enter your coursework, please enter only the following:
- Courses in progress
- Courses you plan to take before your target program starts
- Optional: courses that you think fulfill the prerequisites for your program. Links to SEIE degree programs are on the SEIE Academic Credit & Degree Programs site.
- Program (supporting) materials such as narratives and CVs are submitted via upload, cut-and-paste entry, or a combination of the above. If you run into trouble trying to upload documents, please contact our Admissions Specialist (contact info above).
- Letters of recommendation are called "Evaluations" in Cal State Apply. Links will be sent to the e-mail addresses you provide for your recommenders to upload their letters.
- You may be asked to enter a submission date for your letter(s). We suggest you set it for two weeks from the date you plan to submit your application.
- You should plan to request letters early. Faculty are not generally available during Winter Break or Summer and they may not get your request in time.
- If you are having difficulty uploading any materials, please contact James Peavler (phone and e-mail above) for instructions on getting them to us.
- Spanish MA applicants only: your four-minute Spanish speaking sample sound file can be submitted via e-mail to our Admissions Specialist at email@example.com. Please use SPAN MA Sound File - last name for the Subject. If you wish to submit on media such as CD or stick drive, check with James for the mailing address.