i B.S. Business Administration, Frequently Asked Questions - School of Extended & International Education, Sonoma State University

Frequently Asked Questions

What do I need to get into the program?

Admission to the program is based on both the CSU transfer requirements, which are a minimum of 60 semester units, with 30 at a CR/C- or better, including Speech, Critical Thinking, Composition, and Math; plus some foundational Business classes. Our Application Criteria page will give you all the details.

How and when can I apply?

The program will accept applications each Fall semester. Generally, the application cycle opens on October 1 and closes on March 30 for the following Fall.

What can I do in the meantime to prepare?

Prospective applicants should contact Nina Mendia, mendian@sonoma.edu, to arrange a pre-admission assessment. She will arrange a discussion regarding your transfer status and the pre-requisites.

Schedule a Consultation

We also suggest applying for financial aid as soon as possible! Your request will be matched up later when you apply to the program. March 2 is the priority deadline for Fall 2020 aid. You will need your tax return information but you can use 2018 and update the site when you have filed for 2019. See our SEIE Financial Aid Information page for details, which also has information about other sources of funding.

You may also want to check out our SEIE Scholarship Information page for opportunities. Some scholarships are merit-based, but there are many that are need-based, or that target specific demographic groups.

Must I complete all transfer requirements before applying?

Courses can be in progress or planned when you apply, but any coursework needed for minimum transfer requirements must be completed by the end of the Spring semester before entrance. Summer Intersession grades are posted too late to confirm completion.

I have work in progress. When should I send transcripts?

If you have completed previous work where your current courses are being taken, we must have those transcripts right away in order to process your application. We will need another set at the end of the term to complete your file.

Some of my classes have quarter units. How do those translate to semester units?

A quarter unit is worth 2/3 of a semester unit based on the weeks spent in classes, 12 weeks for quarters vs 15 weeks for semesters: 12/15 = 2/3. For example, a 5 quarter-unit course yields 3.33 semester units.

When will the classes be held?

Classes will be scheduled evenings and Saturdays to accommodate the needs of busy adults.

Where will the classes be held?

Online for fall 2020, due to COIVD-19.

Will I be a Sonoma State student, or a Community College student?

You will be a Sonoma State student. Student services such as registration will be handled by the School of Extended & International Education (SEIE). Your diploma will be issued by SSU, and you will participate in the SSU Commencement ceremony if you so choose. However, you will also have access to College of Marin services such as the library and transportation services.

How much does the program cost?

The cost is $400/unit; you pay only for the units you take in a given semester. A full-time student with 12 units will pay $4,800 in a semester; a part-time student taking 8 units will pay $3,200.

Is financial assistance available?

Students in the program may qualify for federal, state, and veterans' benefits. See our SEIE Financial Aid Information page for details. You may also want to check out our SEIE Scholarship Information page.

How long does the program take to complete?

Time to complete depends on how many units you can take at a time. If you can take 12 units per semester, it will take roughly 2 years. If you can only take 8 units in a semester, it will take about 6 semesters, or 3 years, to complete your requirements.

What are the major requirements?

The major consists of 48 upper-division units: 28 units of core courses and 20 units of Management Concentration coursework, to be chosen by program faculty. These are outlined on our Curriculum page.

Can I choose my Concentration?

Because this is a small program, the current Concentration will be Management. If you want to pursue any of the other Concentrations (Marketing, Accounting, Finance, Financial Management, Wine Business Strategies, or your own Custom Concentration), you must apply to the campus-based program.

Can I take courses on the Sonoma State main campus?

Students in this program may take University courses through Extended Education only during Summer and Winter Intersession. Such courses must be on the list approved for the major or general education; a list of qualifying classes will be sent out by the Program Advisor. During the Fall and Spring semesters, registration in University courses is not allowed except under extraordinary circumstances and with an Advisor's approval.

I have upper-division coursework from my previous college experience. Can this be applied to the major?

Business department faculty can review previous upper-division coursework and make a determination about whether credit can be given against program requirements.

What about the upper-division general education requirement?

The CSU requires students to take 9 units of upper-division general education after reaching Junior status (60 semester units). At least 3 units in each of the general education areas of B, C and D. As part of your curriculum, faculty will choose courses on the approved list. Such courses may also be taken during Summer or Winter Intersession at SSU.

How many units total will I need to graduate?

You must complete 120 units in order to graduate. This means that if you transferred into the program with fewer than 63 units, you will need to add some more units to your program. Your Advisors can help you select classes to take care of any remaining lower-division general education requirements, or to find electives that may help you prepare for a career or further study.

Are there any other requirements?

All CSU students must pass a Graduation Writing Assessment Requirement (GWAR). This can be either through an approved Writing Intensive Course (WIC) or by taking the Written English Proficiency Test (WEPT). We will offer a WIC regularly as part of the program, or your are welcome to have the WEPT proctored at the College of Marin Assessment & Testing Center.

What can I do with my Business degree?

This program will prepare students for careers in a variety of settings. Students may use both the SSU Career Center and your community college employment services, including job fairs and online job boards. Also, from time to time the program may offer career-focused workshops.