Program Requirements

Admission Requirements

Admission to the program is based on the standard CSU transfer requirements: 60 semester units of transferable college-level work with a C average, completed by the end of the semester before enrollment in the program. (Summer and Winter Intersession not included). Thirty of these units must be in general education at a C or better, including A1 (Speech), A2 (Composition), A3 (Critical Thinking) and B4 (Math/Quantitative Reasoning). Entrance requirements can be in progress or planned when you apply, but they must be completed by the end of the Fall or Spring semester preceding enrollment.

Graduation Requirements

In order to graduate, you must:

Additional Coursework

Students need 120 units to graduate with a Bachelor's Degree from this program. Our major coursework comes to 40 units; the Program Advisor will work with students individually on their remaining requirements, if any. If you do require additional units, here are some of the available options:

Community Colleges offer an inexpensive alternative for gathering units. Up to 70 units can be applied towards your BA. Check with a counselor at your chosen college to make sure your courses are transferable, or visit the ASSIST website at

Some local community colleges include:

Extension Classes. Summer and Winter Intersession courses are open to all students. Up to 24 units of extension academic credit coursework may be counted towards your degree. These may be from either SSU or from another (accredited) institution. In order to qualify, a class must award academic units, not continuing education units or hours (CEUs).

Open University. In the Fall and Spring semesters, if there is space in any regular campus class offered at SSU, you may pay the current per-unit fee and enroll without having to formally apply to SSU. Simply go to the first class, and if there's space, have the professor sign the registration form. For more information, see the Open University website.

Open University can also be used for independent study options in any department if you first make arrangements with a sponsoring faculty member.

Distance Learning Courses. Many colleges offer these courses. Visit the California Virtual Campus website at for a list of accredited California colleges with distance learning programs. Other resources include the Peterson's Guide to Distance Learning, and the educational section of some search engines. Before enrolling in a distance learning course, make sure it is from an accredited college. and check with the Program Advisor that it can be accepted for academic credit.

Credit By Examination. Sonoma State accepts test credits from several sources. Up to 30 units may be counted towards your degree. However, please note you will not be given credit for a test that duplicates a course you have taken. For example, if you have already taken a basic Psychology class you may not receive credit for an Introduction to Psychology test. If you took Advanced Placement (AP) tests in high school, you can have your scores sent to Sonoma State for award of credit. More information can be found on the Testing Center website.

  • College Level Examination Program (CLEP): Covers a variety of subject areas, mostly for lower-division general education.
  • DANTES Standardized Subject Tests (DSST): Adult learners can use these tests to certify experiential learning.
  • Challenge Exams: Some academic departments have challenge exams available for general education coursework. For example, U.S. History and California Government statutory requirements can be fulfilled in this way. Other departments will accept challenges from students with a substantial background in their subject material. Check with the appropriate department for their challenge policy. You may need to pay the current Open University fee for these units.

Credit for Military Service. If you have had one year or more of active service, and are able to provide a DD214, you are eligible to receive 6 units of lower-division elective credit. If you have had military schooling, additional credits can be awarded. For more information, contact the Veterans Services office.