Frequently Asked Questions

When does the program accept new students?

New students are accepted and admitted once each year to begin in the Summer. The priority date for applications is March 1st each year; applicants whose materials are in by the priority date are notified by early April, prospective students may still apply after that date if there is space available, but this may delay award of financial aid.

How long does it take to complete the program?

Most students take 26 months to complete the three summers of required courses, four units of teaching practicum/internship, six units of electives, and the comprehensive final examination.

Is there housing available?

Information about on-campus Summer Session housing can be found on the Summer Housing page. During the regular academic year, on-campus housing is not readily available to graduate students, but the Housing Services page has a link to off-campus housing possibilities.

How much are course fees?

All courses taken at SSU to count toward the MA degree, are at the standard program fee rate. The fees as of Summer 2017 are $450/unit; for each 8-unit Summer session, that comes to $3,600, and the full program of 34 units is $15,300.

Is financial aid available?

Students may qualify for State or Federal financial aid; see the Financial Aid page for further information. Veterans and their dependents may go to the Veterans' Affairs Office site for more information about benefits.

How do I register for the Summer classes?

Registration generally begins in mid-March. Information will posted on the Registration page.

How do I register for SPAN 501 / Teaching Practicum/Internship?

Download the appropriate forms on the Registration page under Fall and Spring Registration. Identify where and with whom you would like to do the practicum/internship, then, in conjunction with the supervisor, create a written description of the practicum/internship, making sure to comply with all the requirements indicated on the practicum/internship description. After obtaining the necessary signatures (student, supervisor, Graduate Advisor), you may register.

How do I register for SPAN 595 / Special Topics elective courses?

Download the appropriate forms on the Registration page under Fall and Spring Registration. Identify which course(s) and/or topics you will study, then obtain the consent of the Graduate Advisor (to count the class as an elective in your program) and the course instructor (to allow you to be in the class under the terms described on the 595 description). Once you have the necessary signatures (instructor and Graduate Advisor), you may register.

In order to complete the program, what paperwork do I need to take care of?

There are three forms that all graduate students must complete; see the Graduate Studies Office for the latest versions and instructions.

  1. Master's Degree Graduation Application: This form is due several months before you complete all your requirements, so you need to plan ahead. The Graduate Studies site above has the latest information on the deadlines. It requires only your signature and should be turned in to the Records office.
  2. GSO1: This is filled out after your second summer of coursework, indicating that you are nearing completion of the program. This form requires the Graduate Advisor's signature; the Word version is fillable.
  3. GSO2: This form is submitted after all requirements have been completed; it also needs the Graduate Advisor's signature, and the Word version is fillable.