Assignment & Assistance

  • Currently in the United States, laws and policies regarding gender and assignment vary by state.  
  • Statute: Cal. Health & Safety Code ยง 103426 (2014). is the current California law regarding sex designation on a birth certificate.
    • This policy states, “California will issue a new birth certificate when an applicant submits to the State Registrar an affidavit that, pursuant to Cal. Health & Safety Code 103430(a), contains substantially the following: “I, (physician's full name), (physician's medical license or certificate number), am a licensed physician in (jurisdiction). I attest that (name of petitioner) has undergone clinically appropriate treatment for the purpose of gender transition to (male or female). I declare that the foregoing is true and correct to the best of my knowledge.” There is an $11 fee for a new birth certificate, pursuant to Cal. Health & Safety Code 103725.
  • Under The Affordable Care Act, also known as Obamacare, U.S. legal residents who are considered low income are eligible for Medi-Cal, a branch of California’s Medicaid program.  If you do not meet eligibility requirements there are other options under Covered California.
  • Under Medi-Cal, gender reassignment is covered.  Many cases are denied, but California court cases rule that Medi-Cal cover the services and procedures.
  • Medical insurance policies also vary from company and state.