Buy Stuff

There are three primary methods to purchase goods and services:


  • Goods:  The use of the ProCard for goods is subject to the cardholder’s limit and the use must adhere to the ProCard Handbook.
  • Services:  The use of the ProCard for services is limited to $1,000 per transaction.  The ProCard cannot be used if a contract is required.

Direct Pay/Direct Invoice

  • Goods:  The Direct Pay/Direct Invoice method may be used for goods up to $500.
  • Services:  The Direct Pay/Direct Invoice method may be used up to $2,500 as long as a contract is not required.

EREQ Request/Purchase Order

All purchases not included in the ProCard and Direct Pay/Direct Invoice methods must follow the EReq Request/Purchase Order method.

Employee Business Expenses Reimbursement (EBER)

  • The EBER is used for petty cash replenishment and out-of-pocket business expenses (non-travel) up to $500
  • The EBER is not used for equipment, registrations or services
  • All receipts must be in the employees name claiming reimbursement.

Contract Guidelines

Many purchases require a contractual agreement between SSU and the supplier of the good or service.

Principal Investigators/Project Directors (PIs/PDs) should consult with their Project Administrator (PA) to determine if a contract is necessary. If a contract is required, the PA can assist the PI/PD in initiating the contract via the EREQ process.

A contract is required if the answer to any of the following questions is Yes:

  • Is the supplier a one-person operation? (Honoraria- non-SSU employees does not require a contract)
  • Is the supplier coming to campus to perform work?
  • Will the supplier services involve modification, including construction, alteration, painting, repair or improvement, to any state structure, building, road or other improvement of any kind?
  • Will the supplier services require use of hazardous chemicals or involve disturbance or removal of hazardous materials such as asbestos or lead?
  • Are the purchases charged to sponsored funds and are the services for clinical research, material transfer, or do they involve human subjects?
  • Is there a requirement for milestone deliverables and/or specific milestone deliverable dates?
  • Is there a requirement for services to be completed in accordance with a firm schedule?
  • Are the services for a commissioned work?
  • Are there data usage and ownership requirements?
  • Is the expenditure for loan of equipment or other tangible items?

Note: University contracts can only be signed by the President, CFO, Purchasing Department Buyers, and AVP /Controller. All contracts must be reviewed by the Purchasing Department.

ORSP is available to assist PIs/PDs in accessing any of the purchasing services noted above. PIs/PDs should contact their PA for further assistance.

School Administrative Managers and staff may also be able to assist PIs/PDs in making purchases.

Please see Purchasing contracts tab as many purchases require a contractual agreement that much be processed using the EREQ process noted above.