Pupil Personnel Services

For information about Sonoma State University's Pupil Personnel Services Credential, please contact the Master's in Counseling program at: 707-664-2544 or visit the Master's in Counseling webpage.

What is the PPS?

This is the Pupil Personnel Services Credential. This credential is required to work as a counselor in the secondary schools. Obtaining the P.P.S. credential requires a Master's degree in an appropriate counseling program and passing the CBEST exam, a California exam required of all teachers and counselors. Sonoma State offers the P.P.S. track in their program, as do the programs at San Francisco State, Sacramento State., and St. Mary's. San Jose State offers a Master's in Education with emphases in school counseling or adult counseling.