Transfer Students

Course Registration

Incoming transfer students are strongly advised to take Psy 270 during their first semester at SSU. If students have not taken a statistics course (equivalent to Math 165) or a psychological research methods course (equivalent to Psy 280), they should take these courses as early as possible at SSU. Transfer students from community colleges can meet the Psy 250, Introduction to Psychology, and Psy 280 course, Research Methods in Psychology, requirements with equivalent courses from their community college (or AP credit in the case of Psy 250, Introduction to Psychology).

In order to graduate in 4 years, the University recommends taking 15 units per semester. Incoming transfer students take anywhere from 11 to 16 units. Psychology majors meet with an advisor to discuss their interest areas in Psychology and plan coursework which meets their individual interests and career goals. For information on how to meet with an advisor, check Advising Guidelines. For information on major requirements, check Major Requirements.

The Department Chair will review major requirements, special department offerings and programs, GE requirements, and registration at the transfer advising sessions. Bring a current copy of your Academic Requirements Report from PeopleSoft. This form is essential for your advisor to see what GE requirements you've been given credit for by SSU.

Advice for Registration

During the registration periods, the University will notify you of your registration date and time, sometime before registration begins. Registration is done online through a system called PeopleSoft. You should access registration in PeopleSoft before your registration time so that you know how to use the system. All course information, GE information, and registration information is online using PeopleSoft.

If the registration system does not allow you to enroll for courses such as PSY 270, which is only for Psychology majors, this means that your status as a Psychology major has not yet been entered into the registration system. 

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. What should I do if I do not have my transfer report?
A. Call Admissions & Records to request your report (664-2778, Salz-2030)

Q. Does the psychology department determine what GE courses transfer to specific GE areas?
A. No, it is Admissions & Records. If you have questions please call them 664-2778 (Salz-2030)

Q. What GE courses should I take?
A. Read your transfer report to identify which of the five GE areas (ABCDE) you need to complete. For Spring 2017, make sure you enroll in these courses first.

Q. How many psychology courses from a Junior College transfer into the psychology major at SSU?
A. Only these three courses are transferable: 

  • Psy 250 Introduction to Psychology or equivalent (ex., General Psychology)
  • Psy 280 Research Methods or equivalent
  • Math 165 or equivalent Statistic class

Q. Do other psychology courses taken at a Junior College transfer to SSU?
A. Yes, other psychology classes transfer as GENERAL ELECTIVES but do not count towards the 40 units required to complete our psychology major. They are lower division classes and our major is upper division except for the lower-division required courses. They do count as general electives toward the 120 unit SSU degree, and they demonstrate discipline learning on your academic transcript.

Q. How do I know what are the psychology courses I should take?
A. Read this document:

  • Take Psy 270 and Psy 280.
  • After you take a class in four out of the five (4/5) breadth areas, you will be free to take any classes listed in the schedule.

Q. What if a course I took does not show up on my transfer report?
A. It might be you have not completed the course or your grades have not been received yet.

Q. What if a course I took Psy 250, Psy 280 or Stats and is not counted towards the psychology units?
A. Please complete a course substitution form to correct your transcript and obtain the signature of a psychology advisor by the start of the semester.

Q. I took other psychology classes at my Junior College, am I allowed to take them again at SSU?
A. Yes, you are allowed to take classes such as Psy 302 Life Span Development (GE Area E) or Psy 325 Social Psychology (GE Area D) both at your Junior College, and again at SSU with the purpose to earn credit for Upper Division GE classes.

Q. Do GE classes double or triple count towards fulfilling major and GE requirements?

  • Yes, Psy 302 can count as GE Area E + Upper Division GE + Psychology (Breadth Area 3 Developmental)
  • Psy 325 can count as Area GE D1 + Upper Division GE + Psychology (Breadth Area 4 Social/Personality)

Q. What is the WEPT and do I have to take it?
A. WEPT stands for Written English Proficiency Test, which is a test designed by SSU to fulfill the California State University Graduate Written Assessment Requirement (GWAR), which students must pass in order to graduate. All students must complete the WEPT requirement during or after their Junior year. For more information, go to the Writing Center website.

Q. Can I take a course in replace of the WEPT?
A. Yes, but it must be part of the approved Writing Intensive Curriculum (WIC) courses. To see a list of WIC courses, go to the Writing Center website.

Q. Who is my Academic Advisor?
A. You get to choose your own Academic Advisor based on their available office hours and/or areas of expertise.

Q. Why should I attend a Group Advising session?
A. You will receive valuable general information as well as individual advising to promote your timely graudation.

Q. When is Group Advising?
A. At the beginning of the semester, before graduation application deadlines and before registration. Dates are posted outside Stevenson Hall 3092, on the Psychology website, and sent to your SSU email.