Advising Information

The School of Social Sciences is committed to enhancing the major advising experience by developing tools to help students get the most of their advising sessions. Here you will find useful advising material, including videos, links to common forms, and advisor and workshop information. This page will be updated as new workshop dates and videos become available, so please check back often!

Would you like to see a resource added to this page? Do you have ideas for additional videos? Want to post information on an advising workshop your department is holding? Do you have other feedback? Please let the School’s Information and Technology Liaison, Dr. Karin Jaffe, know! You can send her an email at: Please put “Advising Resources” in the subject line of your email.

Click to expand and collapse each section. Or expand/collapse all.


The Academic Requirements Report (ARR) shows you which requirements you have completed, are completing, and have yet to complete. It is an important advising tool that will help you track your progress toward graduation if you review it frequently. This video shows you how to read your Academic Requirements Report.


Interested in adding a minor or changing your major, but not sure how many courses you’ll need to take to complete your chosen degree? Run a What-If Report and find out! This video shows you how.

Interested in learning how to use the Seawolf Scheduler to create a tentative schedule that works well with your daily activities? The Seawolf Scheduler is designed to help you schedule your classes by inputing your schedule preferences. This video and file shows you how.
Seawolf Scheduler Handout

Degree Planner is an interactive tool that is built into your MySSU. It is designed to help you map out your personal degree plan. This tool will provide you with the opportunity to be proactive in yourlong term course planning.

Getting close to being able to graduate? Congratulations! Watch this video to learn more about grad app deadlines and how to fill out a Graduation Application before meeting with your faculty advisor.

Working with an agency before graduation can be a great way to gain experience and make networking connections in your chosen field. Many departments in the School of Social Sciences allow students to get academic credit for such experiences via an Internship Agreement. Although each department has its own internship policy and procedure, this video explains how to fill out the Internship Agreement form.

If you need a course in a specific GE category, you can use the “Additional Search Criteria” to make your search quick and easy. This video shows you how!

This video show you how to add a course to your schedule using MySSU.

This video shows you how to use MySSU to drop a course you’ve decided not to take. It also explains how to set up a ‘swap’ so that you can replace a course you are enrolled in with one you’re waitlisted for, if you get in. Remember that the swap function is not retroactive, so anytime you register for a ‘placeholder’ course because you’re waitlisted for your preferred course, you should use the swap function. This video shows you how to “swap, don’t drop”!

This video shows you how to get on the waitlist for a course that is full using MySSU.

When possible, students meeting with a faculty advisor to review advising paperwork should fill the paperwork out to the best of their ability before meeting with their advisor (see videos above for help filling out Internship Agreements and Graduation Applications). Some common academic forms can be found below: Contract Course Forms: This is where you can find links to the Internship Agreement, Special Studies forms Graduation Application: This form is required to apply for graduation. Check submission deadlines here: Academic Requirements Update Form: Used to substitute one course for another in your major or minor; AKA: Major/Minor Course Substitution Form) (must be approved by your faculty advisor and department chair) GE Course Substitution Form: Used to request a substitution in the General Education pattern (must be approved by multiple entities on campus)

Internship Agreement
Special Studies
Graduation Application

The Graduation Writing Assessment Requirement (GWAR) is intended to ensure that all students graduating from a California State University have acquired the writing skills necessary for competent written communication. At Sonoma State University, there are two ways students may complete this GWAR: either by passing the WEPT or by passing a WIC. Note that the Writing Intensive Courses (WIC) listed on the link below change each semester, so be sure to check and make sure the course you plan to take to fulfill the WEPT requirement is a WIC in the semester you take it.


As a Transfer Student having the right tools and resources at your fingertips is crucial.  Check out the document below to become familiar with the tools you will use to achieve your educational goal.

Introduction to Academic Resources

List of Academic Departments in the School of Social Sciences:

If you are a declared major, or interested in learning more about a major in the School of Social Sciences, please use this link to find information on advisors in each department in the School of Social Sciences. School of Social Sciences Academic Advisor: Have questions about lower division GE? Need help reviewing your ARR? Or have a quick question or don’t know where to go? Ask Vanessa Bascherini, the school’s Academic Advisor! Please view this link to view Vanessa’s office hours. Please note that Vanessa does not advise on major requirements and will not sign forms.

Advising workshops for students will be posted here. Workshops for Faculty designed to help faculty learn more about available advising tools will also be posted here.