Click here to access the course assessment. Don't forget to complete the second questionnaire.
Click here to read recent Washington Post Opinion piece about Starbucks diversity training.
Click here to read Chronicle of Higher Education article or here to read New Yorker article about Columbia ethnography project on campus sexual assault and risky behavior.
Class is cancelled Tuesday, April 24, 2018.
Some of you might find the following link to graduate programs useful: https://www.gradschools.com/programs/psychology?in=california
Class will meet Tuesdays, Thursdays, 10:00 - 11:50 am in Stevenson 3082.
this course, students should be able to understand and critically evaluate
major research methods in psychology and the social sciences.
- Articulate the value of empirical social science research.
- Explain different research methods used by psychologists and other
- Describe how various research designs address different types of questions
- Evaluate the appropriateness of conclusions derived from empirical
research. " Interpret basic statistical conclusions.
- Distinguish between statistical significance and practical significance.
- Evaluate the validity of conclusions presented in research reports.
- Recognize that theoretical and sociocultural contexts as well as personal
biases may shape research questions, design, data collection, analysis,
- Generalize research conclusions appropriately based on the limitations
of particular research methods.
- Recognize the limitations of applying normative conclusions to individuals.
- Acknowledge that research results may have unanticipated societal
- Recognize that individual differences and sociocultural contexts may
influence the applicability of research findings.
Stangor, C. (2007). Research Methods for the Behavioral Sciences. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth Publishing or Pelham, B. & Blanton, H. (2016). Conducting Research in Psychology: Measuring the Weight of Smoke. Cengage Publishing.
(Please do not pay full price for any edition of either book.)
Heather Smith, Ph.D.
Guide to APA reference format
Sample APA style paper