front page of Copeland Creek Master Plan

Faculty and students engaging in WATERS projects are responsible for securing the necessary environmental permits. It can be challenging to figure out which permits may be needed to conduct the work. This page has a short list of common types of research and educational activities and permits that may be needed to undertake them.

Copeland Creek Master Plan – Persons working on the portion of Copeland Creek that runs through the SSU Campus may be able to conduct some activities under the pervue of the Copeland Creek Master Plan. The Plan is a pre-approved list of activities compatible with existing stream protection legislation. To find out if your activities are compatible with these guidelines, contact Craig Dawson.

Activities Requiring Permits

Disclaimer: This is not an exhaustive list. Please contact agencies for additional permitting guidelines

Moving or Placing Fill Materials into Streams

  • Activity Requiring Permit: Placing fill materials—such as dirt, rock — or causing them to be released into or within “waters of the United States.” Some habitat restoration projects require permits. "Waters of the U.S." are streams, wetlands in or next to streams, areas influenced by tides, navigable waters, lakes, reservoirs and other impoundments.
  • Permits Needed: (404 and 401 permits are closely coordinated between federal and state agencies)

Conducting a Project in Stream Channel or on Bank

  • Activity Requiring Permit: Anything that affects flows, channels, or banks of rivers, streams, and lakes. Some habitat restoration projects require permits.
  • Permits Needed:
  • Activity Requiring Permit: Taking, collecting, capturing, marking, or salvaging mammals, birds and their nests and eggs, reptiles, amphibians, fishes, and invertebrates. “Take” is defined "harass, harm, pursue, hunt, shoot, wound, kill, trap, capture, or collect, or to attempt to engage in any such conduct."
  • Permits Needed: