Applause Awards

Ariana Aparicio Aguilar

Academic Advising

When I returned to my role in the McNair Program, I received a meeting request for STEM in Diversity. I was excited, but unsure what this would mean. When we met it was an extended invitation to take part in an on-campus celebration to inform our students about the diverse programs to serve and support STEM students. Ariana was the brainchild of this event as she noticed that too many of her students in the School of Science and Technology were not aware of the various and diverse services/support programs available. Ariana Aparicio AguilarThe event was a pure sight - information table representing MESA, McNair, MAP, EOP, Writing Center, and Why I love STEM writing board, jumbo size connect 4, Jenga, and guess the element table. All students were encouraged to complete a Bingo card, they would then get popcorn and cookies. It is exciting to see that others think about the needs of the students and the power of collaboration in order to both benefit the student and the university. Thank you Ariana for the hard work!

- Nominated by Mariana G. Martinez, October 11, 2016

Melinda Innes

Toast

I would like to nominate Melinda Innes for an applause award! Melinda and her awesome student assistants, especially Jen, make Toast the place to go for your morning coffee, or afternoon sandwich! Not only am I greeted with a fresh cup of coffee every morning (before I even order it), I am greeted with a warm smile. Melinda always has a positive attitude, keeps the Toast counter immaculate, and moves the line with efficiency. Thank you Melinda for making Toast the place to go for students, faculty, and staff. Not only do we walk away with a beverage or a snack, we walk away with a smile. Can't think of a better way to start my day at Sonoma State than with a stop at Toast!

- Nominated by Sandra Piantanida, October 14, 2016

The Applause Award program provides all members of our community with the ability to nominate an individual or group of staff, administrators, faculty or student staff who demonstrates behavior which exemplifies performance related to the program criteria. This is a public way to thank someone that has made a difference in your work life. Your nomination will be posted on WorkPlace and on the main Employment Services site with a picture, and the nominee will receive a certificate of recognition.

Examples of when an applause award may be appropriate:
• Goes beyond the call of duty
• Assists without being asked
• Completes a task in a manner that allows others to more easily complete their work
• Performs exemplary work or support for a special event or campus function

How to Nominate
Take five minutes to complete the Applause Nomination (Seawolf ID required) form and submit it. Nominations are accepted year-round.