May I visit the Disability Services for Students office (DSS) while I am a prospective student?

Yes. We are happy to meet with prospective students to provide you with a broad overview of DSS services.  Determination of the specific accommodations appropriate for individual students is done after admission to the University. We suggest you coordinate your visit to the DSS office with a tour of the campus and an information session. 

Is there a separate admissions process for students with disabilities at Sonoma State University?

No.  Students with disabilities follow the same process and are reviewed in the same manner as other applicants.

How do I register for Disability Services?

After admission to the University, students may follow our Steps for Registering for Disability Services for Students.

Do colleges and universities provide Individualized Education Programs (IEP's)?

No. In the postsecondary educational setting, students are responsible for self-identifying themselves as individuals with disabilities, providing disability documentation, and requesting accommodations. The institution is responsible for providing reasonable accommodations for qualified students with disabilities. Colleges and universities do not provide special education versions of courses, IEP plans, specialized progress reports, etc.

I received accommodations in high school and I have an IEP, can I use this to document by disability?

The IEP is a valuable resource of information, but this document alone is not used to verify one’s disability. Please refer to Step 1 of How to Register for Disability Services for Students to find out more about how to document your disability.

I have a disability, but am thinking about trying it without accommodations in college. Is this a good idea?

The decision to seek accommodations is entirely up to you. However registered students report to us frequently that they wish they would have taken advantage of accommodations earlier on in their college career. It is far better to have the supports at your disposal than to go it alone.  If you change your mind and don’t feel you need the accommodations, you can always make that choice. However, if you find yourself doing poorly because of not having accommodations, we are unable to “go back” and address the problem retroactively.

What role do my parents play in the process?

Students who are 18 years old or older are legally recognized as adults. In this case, the student is responsible for their own accommodation requests and disability-related decisions. However, students are encouraged to have an open dialogue with their parents as we know they can be a great source of support for you.

You may provide written consent for DSS to speak with your parents, however, please know that the permission allows, but does not require, DSS to disclose confidential information. Our practice is to only share information when we believe it is in the student’s best interest and to instead encourage and help facilitate students’ independence and problem resolution skills.

Are colleges or universities required to provide transportation or attendant care?

No. Colleges and universities are not legally required to provide these services. Students are responsible for their own transportation to and from campus and between classes and buildings once on campus. They are similarly responsible for self-care or for arranging attendant care for activities such as eating, medical treatment, toileting, and showering.

Where is Disability Services located?

The Disability Services for Students office at Sonoma State University is located at:
Schulz 1014a
Rohnert Park CA, 95472

How do I contact the Disability Services for Students office?

You may contact the DSS office:
Schulz 1014a (In person)
707-664-2677 (Voice)
707-664-2958 (TTY)
707-664-3330 (Fax)