Alternative Loans

Flowers with carpenter bee from Lot M

If you need additional financial aid resources beyond the federal funds you were awarded by completing the FAFSA, you may apply for a private educational loan (also known as an alternative loan) up to your budgeted Cost of Attendance (COA). Most private loan providers require a good credit history of you or a co-signer.

There are many private loan providers and varying terms, interest rates, and fees. You are responsible for locating a private loan provider and choosing an appropriate loan product.

Student Lending Code of Conduct

The Higher Education Opportunity Act of August 14, 2008 includes provisions that campuses participating in Title IV programs publish a code of conduct which describes prohibited practices related to loan programs. The California State University Student Lending Code of Conduct (PDF) is available online.