Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Sonoma State University has transitioned to remote instruction for Spring 2021. Employees continue to work remotely in almost all departments. Email is the best way to communicate with our faculty and staff. Please see the SSU COVID-19 site for more information.

Replacing Your W-2

The Payroll and Benefits Office provides assistance to all employees on understanding how to read your pay warrant. We also provide information on how to request a duplicate W-2 form or obtain employment verification.

W-2s are mailed from the State Controller's Office (SCO) in Sacramento to your home address. This normally occurs by January 15th of each year. If you do not receive your W-2 by the end of January, please email our office at

In the event you lose your W-2, or require a duplicate copy for another reason, you can request one by completing the Standard Form 436 (Duplicate W-2 Form) and mail directly to the SCO. The request must include your name, Social Security Number, the tax year(s) being requested, your mailing address, a daytime telephone number, and your authorizing signature. More than one tax year may be requested; however, only four prior tax years are available. There is a $8.50 processing fee per tax year requested.

If you are currently employed with a state agency or campus, you may pay via payroll deduction. Please ensure that you check this option on the Standard Form 436. If your current position does not allow for voluntary deductions (i.e. retired annuitant, student assistants, Special Consultants), or you are no longer employed by a state agency or campus, you may remit payment by either a cashier's check or a money order. Personal checks will not be accepted. Options for payment include:

  • Payroll deduction (currently employed and in a position that allows voluntary deductions)
  • Cashier's check (no longer employed by a state agency or campus or unable to authorize voluntary payroll deductions from current position)
  • Money order (no longer employed by a state agency or campus or unable to authorize voluntary payroll deductions from current position)
  • Cashier's check or money order must be made payable to the State Controller's Office. If you choose to pay the processing fee through Payroll Deduction, you must indicate that option on the Standard Form 436 in the "Billing Method" section. The fee will be deducted from your next warrant/direct deposit payment.

Cal Employee Connect

We encourage employees to register for Cal Employee Connect (CEC). CEC will give you quick access to pay warrants as well as W2s.

Outside Resources

Please send requests to the following address:
State Controller's Office
Personnel / Payroll Services Division
P.O. Box 942850
Sacramento, CA 94250-5878
ATTN: W-2 Unit