Alcohol and Drug Resources

Confronting someone you believe has a substance abuse problem

  • Care: Communicate your concerns in a caring way to the individual.
  • Confront behaviors, not values: Specify certain problem behaviors that have occurred. You are confronting the person's substance use and resulting behavior, not the person.
  • Know the basic facts regarding substance use problems: Use the facts to substantiate your concern for the individual's behavior.
  • Stick to the issue: Focus on the substance use and resulting behavior, not about issues unrelated to the substance use.
  • Mention choices: The person needs to take action and know about available resources.
  • Expect to encounter: A lot of excuses, promises of behavior change that will not be fulfilled, attempts to challenge you, attempts to change to conversation to other subjects, attempts to pass the behavior off as "no big thing".
  • After the confrontation: If you confrontation does not result in a change in substance use behavior, seek support and contact your CSA or A/RLC for further assistance.

Adapted from CSU Chico, Campus Alcohol & Drug Education Center (2012)

Medical Marijuana

Marijuana use in the State of California is controversial and its perceptions will continue to change both socially and politically. Although marijuana can currently be prescribed for medicinal purposes, due to the Drug Free Schools Act, possession of marijuana on the SSU campus, for any reason, is a housing violation. 
Regardless, it is our hope that it is both clear and representative of an academic living environment. Use and/or possession of marijuana conflicts with the academic setting, and threatens the educational intent of the community members at large.
It is important that if you have a medical marijuana card and have been prescribed marijuana for medicinal purposes, discuss your housing options as soon as possible with your Residential Life professional staff member or a Housing staff member.  Ultimately, use and/or possession of marijuana in the residential community is a housing violation and will lead to sanctioning. 

Campus Resources

Residential Area Coordinators and Assistant Community Coordinator
The Residential Life Professional Staff are available to meet with students to discuss issues around substance use.  Contact the A/RLC of your village or call the Residential Life scheduling office to set up an appointment at (707) 664-4259.

Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS)
CAPS offers confidential counseling to students experiencing personal problems that interfere with their academic progress, career or wellbeing.  If you would like to talk with someone or make an appointment, please call (707) 664-2153 between 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.

Student Health Center
The Student Health Center provides high quality medical, public health, and health education services designed to support the retention, academic achievement, and success of SSU students, facilitate healthy lifestyle choices & help promote a safe, healthy campus environment.  If you would like to talk with someone or make an appointment, please call (707) 664-2921 between 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.

Local Resources

County Department of Health Services
1430 Neotomas Avenue
Santa Rosa, CA 95405
(707) 565-7450

Petaluma People Services (Counseling and Prevention Services)
1500 S. Petaluma Blvd., Suite A
Petaluma, CA 94952
(707) 765-8488

Drug Abuse Alternatives Center (DAAC)
2403 Professional Drive, Suite 101
Santa Rosa, CA 95403
(707) 544-3295

Santa Rosa Treatment Program, Inc.
1901 Cleveland Avenue, Suite B
Santa Rosa, CA 95401
(707) 576-0818

Alcoholics Anonymous World Service
Alcoholics Anonymous Intergroup Fellowship Office
750 Mendocino Ave., Suite 10
Santa Rosa, CA 95401
(707) 546-2066  
24/7 Hotline: (707) 544-1300

Marijuana Anonymous
P.O. Box 2842
Petaluma, CA 94952
(707) 583-2326
Local Information:
General Information: